You will then write a 4–5 page paper in which you use this new knowledge and proven strategies to respond to the five statements below.
Discuss the necessity of short-term and long-term forecasting for developing the key elements of the business plan.
Evaluate the importance of developing formal and informal networks when building new business opportunities and expanding into new markets.
Discuss the importance of knowledge management in the digital age and identify two risks organizations must address to mitigate competitive pressures.
Consider the various components of a business plan and identify two components that you believe would be the most challenging for you as an aspiring entrepreneur.
Describe how technology could help overcome identified business plan challenges.
Evaluate the components of a business plan related to forecasting, networking, and knowledge management.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship,
Bessant and Tidd, 2nd Rd.
CASE STUDY 7
Pre-Launch Decisions which Influence Innovation Success
It has been extensively documented in management literature that an incredibly large share of
firms’ investments in technological innovation do not generate substantial financial returns.
Three main reasons underlying this phenomenon can be identified. First, technological
innovation creates knowledge and technological assets that often remain largely unexploited.
Various studies show that between 70 and 90% of corporate technology assets often never get
used in core products or lines of business. Second, the likelihood that an innovation project
reaches completion and that the new product is introduced into the market is strikingly low. It
has been estimated that the probability of new product commercialization is about 40% in many
industries, with some cases (e.g., pharmaceutics) where the mortality of innovation projects is
much higher. Finally, a large share of the innovations that ultimately reach the market do not
experience a satisfactory diffusion and their sales are discontinued. Empirical studies have
shown indeed that on average 40–50% of fully commercialized new products turn out to be
An important managerial question is however left unanswered: which are the levers a manager
can act upon to achieve adoption network acceptance and early adopters’ acceptance for a high-
tech innovation, having a given functional content and a set of technical specifications, which is
introduced within the scope of a given competitive and product strategy (Table 7.5)?
TABLE 7.5 Commercialization factors influencing the adoption of
– When will the innovation first be launched into the market?
– Will the firm announce the innovation to the press long before its market
– Will the firm partner with external organizations long before the official
– Which market segments will the innovation will be addressed to?
– Which will be the position of the innovation in the eyes of potential adopters
in each of the targeted market segments?
– Will the firm target different segments as long as the commercialization
– Which external organizations will the firm partner with during the
commercialization of the innovation?
– Which forms of relationships will be most appropriate (e.g., licensing
agreements, strategic, long-term partnerships) to organize such relationships?
– Which bundle of additional adds-on, services and functionalities surrounding
the ‘core’ innovation will be included in the basic configuration of the new
– Which type of
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.