a short description of the social problem from the Policy Advocacy Challenge you selected from the Jansson text. Then address the following:
Who is defining the problem?
What values are reflected in this definition of the problem?
What is being omitted in this definition?
Analyses of Social Problems in Case Studies
As a social worker, you need to use your policy advocacy skills to ensure your clients receive the services they need. Although you may tend to think of policy advocacy skills as separate from your clinical social work skills, they are similar. Think of the advanced practice skills—reframing, educating, brokering, collaborating, and building trust and rapport, for example—that you would use in working with a client who was experiencing homelessness, aging, child sexual assault, or low wage earnings.
How could you apply advanced practice skills to policy advocacy? How will you use these practice skills to identify the policy and social problems that are impacting these families?
For this Discussion, you will review examples of social problems and use your practice skills to analyze the problems from the client perspective.
· Read Chapter 7 of the Jansson text.
· Review the “Policy Advocacy Challenge” sections assigned from the Jansson text this week.
· Select one of the Policy Advocacy Challenge examples to use for your Discussion. Use your experiences as a practicing social worker and/or your academic interests to inform your selection.
Post a short description of the social problem from the Policy Advocacy Challenge you selected from the Jansson text. Then address the following:
· Who is defining the problem?
· What values are reflected in this definition of the problem?
· What is being omitted in this definition?
Be sure to support your post with specific references to this week’s resources. If you are using additional articles, be sure to provide full APA-formatted citations for your references.
Policy Advocacy Challenge 2.6
Ethical Reasoning by Frontline Social Workers
Gretchen Heidemann Ph.D. and Bruce Jansson, Ph.D.
Take the example of hospitals in Los Angeles “dumping” patients with no address onto the streets of Skid Row. In March 2007, 62-year-old Carol Ann Reyes was dropped off by a taxicab on the curb in the heart of downtown Los Angeles’ Skid Row wearing nothing but a hospi- tal gown. A video camera outside a rescue mission caught Ms. Reyes wandering confusedly up and down the sidewalk for several minutes before someone helped her. She had been discharged from an area hospital where she had been for three days after taking a fall. Her medical records showed that she suffered from dementia, extremely high blood pressure, and a persistent cough and fever. What she did not have was an address. Carol Ann had been of those cases were investigated by the Los Angeles City Attor- ney, including that of a man who was dropped off on the streets of Skid Row barefoot, with face bandaged, and could hardly walk. One of the hospitals involved agreed to a $1 million settlement for dumping a paraplegic man. Another made a $1.5 million settlement for dump- ing a 32-year-old man suffering from paranoid delusions. Two other hospitals were given stiff fines and required
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.